Do you have just 3 cups of sweet red cherries and not know what to do with them? Make this easy pectin free refrigerator jam. Traditional canning can be a daunting or time-consuming task for many people, but this recipe which provides the same results takes a fraction of that time. Bonus, you probably already have all the ingredients right there at home!
- 3 c. of sweet red cherries, destemmed and pitted
- ¾ c. granulated white sugar
- ¼ c. honey
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch (for slurry)
- 1 tbsp. water (for slurry)
- Destem and pit the cherries. A cherry pitter is a great tool to have but is not necessary for this project.
- Add the pitted cherries, granulated white sugar, honey and lemon juice to a medium sized pot and allow to sit for 5 minutes stirring frequently to release some of the juices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then immediately reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the 30 minutes have passed, mix the cornstarch and water, add the slurry to the cherry mixture, and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Pour the hot cherry jam into a clean, heat safe 16 oz. jar with lid or several smaller containers.
- Since we are not canning this product, allow to cool on the counter and place in the fridge or freezer for later use.
- Use within a month in the fridge and within 12 months if stored in the freezer.
We paired this recipe with a crusty bread and brie cheese, which was an absolute delight.
Recipe by: Valerie Musser of @valeriesofcoursecatering