Recipe by: Chef Lenny, @whosagoodlizard
A classic anytime dessert made with fresh or frozen sweet cherries. Serve this showstopper with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Galettes are a great beginner pie recipe as the rustic crust leaves a lot of room for error!
Cherries are packed with nutrients, can boost recovery, are good for your heart, and can aid in sleep quality.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 12-inch store bought pie dough (or homemade, but that will significantly increase the prep time)
- 4 cups of sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (thawed) pitted and halved.
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp. brown sugar, separated
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch or 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. orange zest (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter cubed
- Egg + 1 tbsp. water, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place the cherries in a bowl and toss with sugar, corn starch or flour, vanilla extract, orange zest (if using), lemon juice and salt.
- Remove crust from refrigerator and roll out any creases. This is a rustic pie, so it does not have to be perfect.
- Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour the cherry mixture into the center of the pie crust, making sure to leave about a 2” boarder. Top with the cubed butter.
- Fold the crust over the top of the cherry mixture, brush the edges with the beaten egg wash, sprinkle with the left-over brown sugar and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is a rich golden brown.
- Let cool only slightly and serve warm with your choice of vanilla ice cream (pictured) or whipped cream.