Recipe by: Chef Lenny, @whosagoodlizard
Juicy, cherries and tender beef-browned and cooked until fork tender. Including Instant Pot & traditional slow cooker methods.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour Instant Pot
8-10 hours if using traditional method included below.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 lbs. beef stew meat (chuck roast)
- 1.5 to 2 cups pitted chopped Rainier Cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 large shallot diced
- 1 8oz box mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. each, cumin, paprika, chili powder
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
Instant Pot Method
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and press the “sauté” button.
- When the oil is warm, add the beef and cook on each side 3-4 minutes until evenly browned.
- Once the beef is browned, remove from the Instant Pot and set aside temporarily.
- Add the remaining ingredients (yes, it is that simple!) and stir together until combined.
- Cut the beef onto manageable large chunks (this really helps it cook evenly) and then add the pieces back to the pot.
- Press the “Keep Warm / Cancel” button to stop sautéing. Secure the lid, and make sure your steam vent is set to closed.
- Press “Manual”, or “Pressure Cook” and set the timer to 60 minutes. If you have an option to select, also choose, “High Pressure”.
- After the time has elapsed, allow to the steam to naturally release for 10-15 minutes, then release the steam manually. Once the steam has fully released and you can remove the lid and now the beef is ready to shred with a fork.
- Serve in tacos, burrito bowls, pretzel buns, over nachos etc.
Traditional Method for Slow Cooker
- Add the olive oil to a high sided skillet and once hot, brown the beef on all sides 3-4 minutes per side. Set the beef aside temporarily.
- Add all the other ingredients to your slow cooker and stir.
- Cut the beef into manageable large chunks and add this to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Once the time has elapsed, shred the beef with a fork and serve hot! Serving suggestions are above.