This salad has it all in terms of flavor and texture contrast. Sweet Rainier cherries, tangy apricots, salty cheese and spicy greens come together to make this perfect summer salad! The dressing adds a nice sweet-tart accent to the salad as well with a combination of white balsamic vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard. Serve this salad on its own for lunch or alongside grilled chicken or steak for dinner on the patio.
YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (or substitute white wine vinegar)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. package of halloumi cheese
- 2 small apricots, ripe but firm
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups pitted and halved Rainier cherries
- 4 cups hearty salad greens such as arugula, baby kale and spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly torn
- Mix the dressing; combine all ingredients and whisk well until incorporated.
- Cut the apricots in half. Remove pits and brush the cut sides of the halves with a little honey. If the cheese is not separated into two pieces, slice the cheese in half lengthwise to make 2 flat pieces.
- Preheat a grill on high heat; place the cheese and the apricots on the grill, cut side down, and let cook, uncovered, for at least 10 minutes without moving. Check the underside for dark grill marks; continue cooking as necessary until each piece is nicely charred. Remove the apricot halves and set aside to cool and flip the cheese over to grill the other side. Remove cheese from the grill, let cool enough to handle. Slice each of the apricot halves in two and dice the cheese into 1 inch pieces.
- On a large serving platter, layer the greens with the apricot quarters, diced halloumi and the cherry halves. Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the salad and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately with additional dressing on the side.