This is a gluten free recipe the whole family will love using Lake Chelan Cherries from Chelan Fresh to give it a sweet and savory taste.
This recipe is: Gluten free, whole grain
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 cups sweet red cherries, pitted and torn into halves
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- To make the dressing; In a blender, combine the shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey and garlic and puree until smooth. With the machine on, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Pour the vinaigrette into a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- To make the quinoa; rinse and drain the quinoa thoroughly and place in a medium sauce pan with the water and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and let rest for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- To toast the almonds; preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spread the almonds in a single layer in a sheet pan and toast in the oven for 10-12 minute or until they are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To put the dish together; combine the cooked quinoa, cherries, celery, almonds, feta cheese (if using), basil, and lemon zest and toss gently.
- Pour dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss again to combine, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or store in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 4 days.