This recipe is: Gluten, soy, nut and dairy free
Yield: one 32 oz. mason jar or two 16 oz. jars
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound dark red cherries, rinsed and pitted
- 1 small orange
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme (about 5-8 sprigs)
With a vegetable peeler, remove the outer peel of the orange in stripes, careful not to get any of the white pith with it. Set aside.
2. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, peppercorns, salt and 2 or 3 stripes of orange peel. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Take off the heat, put in 3 sprigs of fresh thyme and let seep for another 10-20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, fill one 32 oz. or two 16 oz. glass mason jar with the cherries, a few of the remaining orange strips and a sprig or two of thyme. Set aside.
4. Strain the vinegar mixture, then pour over the cherries until they are covered in liquid. Secure the lid on the jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
These cherries travel well for picnics and potlucks. Enjoy them with soft cheeses, salads, sandwiches or whenever you want something tangy and sweet.