This recipe is: dairy and soy free
YIELD: 6 sandwiches
This lightly sweetened frozen cherry puree is made from whole fruits so it makes a refreshing healthy treat on it’s own. But serve it up between your favorite homemade or store bought cookie and you have the perfect dessert on hand for hot summer days.
• 16 oz. frozen cherries, sweet dark variety
• 1 large banana
• 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons agave syrup
• 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
• 1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
• 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs or mini chocolate chips
• 1/4 to 1/2 almond milk
• 1 dozen cookies, store bought or homemade
1. Line an 8x11 inch glass or metal baking dish with plastic wrap, set aside.
2. Place the frozen cherries, banana, vanilla, agave syrup and coconut oil and 1/4 cup of almond milk in a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk if needed to help blend.
3. Add the fresh cherry halves and cocoa nibs, blend until the cherries are chopped by still chunky.
4. Pour the cherry mixture in the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly, cover with more plastic wrap and freeze until solid, at least an hour, or overnight.
5. When solid enough to cut, remove the block of cherry puree from the baking dish by lifting up the plastic wrap. Using a 3 or 4 inch biscuit cutter, cut out disks of frozen cherry puree and place disks back into the baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and immediately return the pan to the freezer. Reserve the remaining puree pieces in a separate container and freeze for another time. The disks will keep up to 2 weeks, assemble as desired.
6. To assemble a sandwich, remove one frozen cherry puree disk and place between two cookies of your choice. Enjoy immediately!
Cut the cherry puree in to squares and sandwich between chocolate graham crackers.