Cherry Balsamic Glaze for Roasted Chicken Breast
4 boneless chicken breast
2 teaspoons olive oil - divided
2 shallots, chopped finely
1 large garlic clove, minced
1⁄3 cup dry red wine (shiraz or zinfandel)
1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
½ tablespoon sugar
1 cup frozen dark cherries, thawed
Salt and pepper
To make the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425. Pat chicken dry and rub skin with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes before reducing heat to 400 and continuing to roast for 10-20 minutes longer – depending on size of chicken breasts.
To make Cherry Glaze:
- Heat olive oil in a small heavy metal or ceramic saucepan.
- Add shallots and cook until they are soft and wilted, not browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine, sugar, vinegar and cherries.
- Increase the heat to bring the sauce to a light boil, stirring occasionally.
- Let the sauce reduce to half the original amount (about 10-12 minutes). It should get thick and syrupy.